Essential oils can be categorized into broad groups based on their aromas. An example categorical system is as follows:
(i.e. Lavender, Neroli, Jasmine)
(i.e. Pine, Cedar)
(i.e. Oakmoss, Vetiver, Patchouli)
(i.e. Marjoram, Rosemary, Basil)
(i.e. Peppermint, Spearmint)
(i.e. Eucalyptus, Cajuput, Tea Tree)
(i.e. Nutmeg, Clove, Cinnamon)
(i.e. Ginger, Patchouli)
(i.e. Orange, Lemon, Lime)
Oils in the same category generally blend well together. I hesitate specifying that particular categories blend well with other specific categories because it can limit your creativity and experimentation. Additionally, there are always exceptions. But to get you started, below are some categories that generally blend well together:
- Florals blend well with spicy, citrus and woodsy oils.
- Woodsy oils generally blend well with all categories.
- Spicy and oriental oils blend well with floral, oriental and citrus oils. Be careful not to overpower the blend with the spicy or oriental oils.
- Minty oils blend well with citrus, woodsy, herbaceous and earthy oils.
- 4 1/2 teaspoons Vodka
- 2 teaspoons Distilled Water
- 22 drops of your perfume blend
Directions: Blend all ingredients well and store in an airtight 1 ounce dark-colored glass container. Let sit for two weeks, shaking the bottle 1-3 times daily (more often is better) to mix the oils. After two weeks has passed, filter the cologne through a coffee filter and re-bottle into a one-ounce, fine-mist sprayer bottle. This makes only a one-ounce quantity so that you can try your cologne to see if you like it or want any changes to it before making a larger quantity.
- 3 Tbsp. grapeseed oil (you could substitute any carrier oil such as hemp seed, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil, or even more coconut oil, if you wanted!)
- 1 Tbsp. unrefined coconut oil (you could substitute any carrier oil here)
- 1 Tbsp. beeswax pastilles
- 60 drops essential oil
- In a double boiler, heat up and melt the beeswax along with the carrier oils, until melted.
- Once melted, remove from heat and add essential oils, stirring well until combined.
- Pour your mixture into the containers you have chosen for your solid perfume.